Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pregnancy: Battling Morning Sickness

Battling Morning Sickness

Morning Sickness. I don't even know why they call it "Morning" sickness, because I know I'm not alone when I say it is Afternoon, Evening, & all Night long sickness as well.

Pregnancy is an exciting time...but the nausea really puts a damper on the situation.

For me Morning Sickness, is one of the hardest parts of pregnancy.  It gets old so fast.  But in the attempts to find a cure and make the best of it.  Here are some tips and tricks I have found through my last two and my current pregnancy.  BUT since pregnancy is so different for everyone and even for each pregnancy...please give me any ideas you might have.  As none of these have solved ALL of my problems.  And there is the alternative of a prescription.  Which I will discuss more below.

Things that help EASE the Nausea:
-Preggo Pops

-Sucking on Mints
-Popcicles
-Flavored Water
-Sucking on Hard Candy
-Mint/Peppermint Gum
-Tea (Especially Peppermint or Fennel)

If none of these or any other great ideas you have found work, there is always the option of a prescription.  With my current pregnancy as well as my last I have had to resort to a prescription for different periods of the pregnancy.  Personally, I try to avoid them.  It is always a little nerve racking taking medication when pregnant and I don't always like the side effects.  But if you do end up needing a prescription, I definitely suggest finding one that DISSOLVES in your mouth/under your tongue.  I find them much easier to take and more effective.  Too many times, I just found myself throwing up the pill I just swallowed.  So dissolvable tablets saved me!

Another random trick, but it really works for me....Mentholatum!
I use a generic Mentholatum Ointment as "Chapstick" on my lips.  The smell totally calms my stomach.  Random I know.  It also keeps me from smelling the random unwanted smells that make me nauseous. Plus, Pregnancy is known to cause congestion/stuffy nose and this clears me up immediately.  A little moisture on my lips is an added bonus.
(TIP: Vick's Brand, says not to use on chapped lips, so look for a brand that specifies.  Mine was Walgreens brand and says it is for chapped lips and chapped skin.)

For Meals & Snacks...
I say, go with what your stomach tells you.
But there is always the fall back plan of: Crackers, Fruit, or good old fashioned Peanut Butter & Jelly.

I find the trick is to eat in small portions and sip drinks throughout day. Too much water or food can trigger the gag reflex.

And of course, Plenty of Sleep!
A rested body can make such a difference.

Well, this is what works for me.  Or at least works has worked for me at some point, depending on each pregnancy...But, what works for you.  I could really use any suggestions!

More to come on Maternity and Preparing for a new Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...